Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Today I found a "religion" I had never heard of before. I like it.

Bokononism is the religion practiced by many of the characters in Kurt Vonnegut's novel Cat's Cradle.

It is based on the concept of foma, which are defined as harmless untruths. The primary tenet of Bokononism is to "Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy." Many of the sacred texts of Bokononism were written in the form of calypsos. The foundation of Bokononism is that all religion, including Bokononism and all its texts, is formed entirely of lies; however, one who believes and adheres to these lies will at least have peace of mind, and perhaps live a good life.

Here's the wiki:


I think I may pick up this book.  It seems interesting enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment