Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Long Road

A writing exercise from http://picturespoetryprose.blogspot.com/

Driving:
You are driving away from something or towards something.
Tell me about it creatively.





This road goes on
On and on
And it rumbles 
And it grinds
As I drive over it in this machine I call a car.

Horizons tease
All around
The past behind
The future ahead unclear
And the present disappears with the trees that seem so far.

But the sunlight is shining
It's blinding in the windshield
And I just can't see a thing before my eyes.

I'm following the lines
Drawn out upon the pavement
That tell me where to go and how to drive.

But then
Without a warning
A loud pop!
and a bang!
Next thing I know I'm pulled over on the side of the road.

A flat tire
What bad luck!
Now I'm faced 
With the decision
Of how to get to whereever it is I need to go.

And as I squinted down that long road
I realized I never liked where it was leading
So I turned around with the road to my back

And there were those green trees
So beautiful and inviting
That I decided to just make my own path



Cynthia Smallwood
March 10, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment