Thursday, December 4, 2008

Home Haiku and other poems...

A writing exercise suggested by an English Teacher.

Take your zip code and make a poem about your home with that many words or syllables in each line. I used syllables to describe the last 3 zip codes I lived in: 11741, 42701, and 32835.


New
York
Holbrook was my childhood home
Sometimes I miss
It


Kentucky was
Second
E'town is where I found him
...
Jem


Orlando
Is where
I am now and the plants here look
like fireworks
celebrating me.



Fruit Poems:

Watermelon Haiku:
(a Haiku is a Japanese poem style with 3 lines containing 5 syllables, 7 syllables, and 5 syllables. Usually they make you see an ordinary object from a different point of view. Here is mine.)

ooh, Watermelon!
how I hope you are seedless
it's so much less work...




Tomato Cinquain:
(a Cinquain is a poem style that with 5 lines containing 1 word, 2 descriptive words, 3 action words, 4 words that convey feeling, and 1 word again. Here is mine.) 

Tomato
red, juicy,
fruit in disguise...
I think you're disgusting,
Tomato

No comments:

Post a Comment