Thursday, January 15, 2009

Carnival

a writing exercise from http://picturespoetryprose.blogspot.com/



I am the crane game champion.
It didn't matter what kind of rush we were in.
How important the place was we were off to.
If we passed a carnival on the road,
we would all strain our eyes
darting everywhere, 
our hands on the windows of the car
trying to see if they had crane games.
If so, we would always stop
We would play at least 10 dollars
and that Glass Piggy Bank would be mine
Oh, that fabulous Glass Piggy Bank...
With the scotch tape on the top:
an unworthy attempt to hinder my desire.
A turn of the nob, and a plunk of the coin
and the crane would reach
Reach long or close, out and down,
and grab that Piggy and pick it up.
I could feel its weight every time
and down it would drop
with a resounding clunk
which made the man behind the box curse
For he would have to give me a prize
that was worth more than 25 cents.
Back into the rice, he would place the Piggy
somewhere he thought to be out of reach
and again I would snatch it.
Soon, he will decide not to put the Piggy back in at all
But there is no stopping me.
I will just move to a box on the other side
to target a new Glass Piggy Bank.
To collect my prizes
And place them in the kitchen drawer
which we had set aside for such trophies.
For I am the crane game champion!!



Oh yes, this is 100% true. And the "we" I am referring to are my parents and I as I am an only child. :)

-Cynthia Smallwood
January 15, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment